The Black Bull is one of Toronto’s oldest bars. It was originally opened in 1838 and was rebuilt in 1886. It was adopted by city council as a heritage property in 1980. It’s well-known for its large patio, popular in the summer. In 2011 a three-alarm fire ripped through the apartments above the historic Black Bull tavern.
During the heritage restoration in 2012 performed by Hudson, the Mansard roof and third-floor windows were renovated, and the slate tiles replaced with asphalt tiles, in a pattern that was the same as the earlier tiles of slate. Though not authentic, they are more in keeping with the original appearance of the building as they are slate coloured. The slate-rock tiles on the roof survived until 2011, but were painted yellow.